Tuesday, November 16, 2010

25 Days of Thanks Challenge: Day 16

Pin It
Today I am Thankful for...Potty Time!

This is another post I must preface: if you don't want to hear about pee-pee and poopies, this one isn't for you!

At 18 months, Elena started telling us before she needed to potty. We purchased a potty chair and let her start trying. She did great with it! I didn't want to be one of those parents who pushed their child to potty train too soon, but she was so interested and seemed to be so successful. After about a month of her going pee pee in the potty and even some poopies, we decided to take the plunge and switch to training panties. For about another month after that she rarely had an accident and she even went many nap times without diapers. We did however notice that she waited until bed time to go poop so one night we decided to put her on the potty before bedtime and try to get her to go. BIG mistake. After that, she seemed to shut down and refuse to go potty. It's like she almost didn't care anymore if she were wet or soiled.

Here we are over a year later and there hasn't been a lot of change. I am not holding my breath, but I am encouraged by the success she has had this week. I decided on a whim to move her potty to where she normally hides to go poop: behind the kitchen table (hey, whatever works). Twice this week, she's been successful there and she's even gone in the big potty on her own once also! She hasn't pooped in her pants all week! Though she still gets preoccupied and forgets to go pee-pee all the time, I am hopeful that we may have turned a corner. SO, today I am thankful for baby steps in potty training.

What are YOU thankful for today? Check out the "25 Days of Thanks" tab at the top of the page and link up below!


1 comment:

  1. I swear my children have been in every bathroom within a 60m radius of our house. Each got potty trained on their own schedules. Even though I tried and tried to potty train when it was convient for me. lol...I'm an art teacher...so I was constantly trying to potty train in the mornings/evenings and on holidays. With one child...books and toys were the answer...with the other singing. Thankfully my mother-in-law often says...they aren't going to ask you on a resume how long it took you to walk, potty train, talk...or how long you had a bottle, or a pacifier, or a blanky.
    From one Mommy to another...Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments and connecting with other bloggers...send some comments my way!